Fueling Your Winter Hike: The Ultimate Guide to Hiking Snacks
Winter in the United Arab Emirates offers a unique opportunity to explore the country's diverse landscapes and enjoy outdoor adventures. With cooler temperatures and clear skies, it's the perfect time for a winter hike. Whether you're heading to the dramatic dunes of the desert, the stunning mountain ranges, or the beautiful wadis, you'll need the right snacks to keep you energized and satisfied during your adventure. In this guide, we'll explore three popular hiking spots in the UAE and suggest some fantastic snacks to take with you.
1. Hatta Mountain Hike: A Scenic Escape
Located in the Hajar Mountains, Hatta is a picturesque destination for winter hiking. The dramatic landscape, with its rugged mountains and clear blue waters, offers hikers a stunning backdrop for their adventure. Here are some ideal snacks for your Hatta hike:
- Trail Mix: A classic choice, trail mix is a combination of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and a touch of chocolate for that much-needed energy boost.
- Protein Balls: Compact and protein-packed, these snacks are excellent for maintaining your stamina during your hike.
- Fruit Slices: Sliced fruits like apples or oranges provide hydration and natural sugars to keep you refreshed and energized.
2. Jebel Jais: The UAE's Highest Peak
Jebel Jais, in Ras Al Khaimah, boasts the UAE's highest peak, with panoramic views that make it a must-visit for hiking enthusiasts. To keep your energy up during the ascent, consider these snack options:
- Energy balls: These convenient packed snacks are designed for quick energy release, perfect for those steep climbs.
- Beef Jerky: A lean protein source that's easy to carry and doesn't spoil, making it a great option for longer hikes.
- Nut Butter scoops: Single-serving scoops of almond or peanut butter offer healthy fats and protein.
3. Wadi Shawka: A Natural Oasis
Wadi Shawka, near Hatta, is a hidden gem with its serene pools, lush vegetation, and dramatic cliffs. While exploring this natural oasis, be sure to have these snacks on hand:
- Dried Dates: A local favorite, dried dates are not only delicious but also packed with energy-boosting carbohydrates.
- Homemade Sandwiches: Prepare hearty sandwiches with high protein bread and plenty of veggies for a satisfying mid-hike meal.
- Quinoa Salad cups: Prepare small, portable quinoa salad cups for a wholesome and filling snack.
Remember, staying hydrated is crucial during any hike, and the UAE's winter weather can still be quite dry. Don't forget to carry plenty of water and electrolyte-replenishing drinks. Hurry up and stock up on your favourite snacks to carry during your next hike.